The Material Theme plugin comes with a bunch of features tailored for an optimal experience. However, it is also highly configurable to allow every one to customize it to their hearts content.
Themes and Color Schemes
The plugin comes prebundled with a set of themes interchangeables through the Theme Switcher.
There are many ways to invoke the Theme Switcher:
- From the IDE menu
Tools → Material Theme → Material Theme Chooser
- From the Main Toolbar
- From the
Search Everythingdialog, type
- From the
Quick Switchpanel (Ctrl + \`) (Windows: Ctrl + ~)`
Or, since version 2.4.0, from the Settings at
Settings → Appearance → Material Theme.
Note that this dropdown won’t show the External Themes.
The plugin comes prebundled with 17 themes:
These themes are based on the original themes, made by Mattia Astorino (@equinusocio)
An oceanic blue flat theme
A pitch-black flat theme
A bright light flat theme
A purplish flat theme
A deep sea black flat theme
Besides the Material Themes, there are other prebundled themes made by the community:
Theme based on the Monokai Pro Theme
Theme based on the Dracula Theme
Theme based on the GitHub UI
Theme based on the GitHub Dark UI
Theme based on the Arc Dark GTK Theme
Theme based on the Atom One Dark theme
Theme based on the Atom One Light theme
Solarized Dark Theme
Solarized Light Theme
Theme based on Night Owl by Sarah Drasner
Theme based on Light Owl by Sarah Drasner
Theme based on the Moonlight Theme by Atomiks
This feature is only available for premium users.
The plugin also exposes an endpoint allowing plugin developers to create and bundle their own custom themes, just like Color Schemes, Keymaps, Coding Styles and so on. To learn more about External Themes or how to create your own plugin, head to the External Themes section.
Once the external theme has been downloaded and installed, it should appear at the bottom of the Switcher.
This feature is only available for premium users.
Finally, there are the Custom Themes, which is the placeholder for the Custom Theme Settings, allowing you set your own theme colors.
There are two options available, Custom Theme for themes based off the Darcula LaF, and Light Custom Theme based off the Light LaF.
See Custom Themes for more information.
Native Themes (since 5.0)
From version 5.0 the plugin now supports Native Themes as well, that is, themes using JetBrains theme API. When loading a native theme, the plugin will try to convert it into a Material Theme, thus allowing you to use the theme colors while using the Material Theme features such as the components, accent mode and so on.
You don’t need to do anything to make it work, simply download a native theme and select it, it will be automatically converted to a theme format supported by the plugin.
Material Theme Settings
Some settings are only available for premium users.
You can configure many parts of the plugin features from the plugin settings. They are accessible within
Settings → Appearance → Material Theme → Settings.
Since version 2.4.0, the settings page has been remade to prevent overwhelming the user from the abundance of customization options.
Now settings are differentiated between basic and advanced settings, they are grouped within tabs, and a Reset Settings button has been added for easy factory resetting.
Quick summary of all settings:
- Selected Theme: Select a Material Theme skin (will not display External Themes)
- Contrast Mode: Add contrast to specific panels and components.
- High Contrast : Set a darker color of the backgrounds and lighter color of texts for more contrast
- Custom Accent Color: Set a custom accent color.
- Override Accent Color: Change the accent color accordingly to the selected theme
- Configure Custom Theme Colors: Open the settings page for the Custom Theme Colors.
- Tabs Height: Set a custom height for tabs (between 25 and 60 pixels)
- Active Tab Highlight Color : Customize the active tab’s indicator color
- Thickness : Set the active tab’s indicator thickness (works also for the Project View selected row)
- Uppercase Tabs : Set the Editor Tabs in Uppercase
- Bold Active Tab : Make the Active Tab Bold
- Tab Position : Customize the position of the tab highlighter
- Font Size : Control the size of the Editor Tabs (requires restart)
- Compact Status Bar: Reduce the height of the status bar (this is the default height)
- Compact Table Cells: Reduce the height of table headers and table cells
- Compact Dropdown Lists: Reduce the size of the dropdowns
- Compact Menus: Reduce the size of the menus
- Custom Sidebar Height : Set a custom line height in Project View (min: 18, max: 30)
- Custom Tree Indent : Fine tune indent of Project View items (both left and right indent)
- Selected Indicator Style : Change the style of the indicator of the selected item in trees
- Border: Add a small border to the left
- Dot: Add a dot on the selected item
- None: Remove the indicator
- Thickness : Control the thickness of the indicator
- Custom Directories Style : Assign a specific style to directories. Can be configured from the Custom File Colors settings page.
- Font Size : Fine tune the font size of the project trees (requires restart)
- Uppercase buttons: Set the buttons’ texts to uppercase
- Outlined buttons : Use outline buttons instead of full buttons.
- Transparent Scrollbars: Enable/Disable transparency in scrollbars (requires restart)
- Accent Scrollbars: Set the color of the scrollbars to the accent color (requires restart)
- Tab Shadows : Add a subtle shadow under the tabs
- Inverted Selection Color: Switch the Autocomplete selected item color between the selection color and contrast color.
- Material Fonts : Enable/Disable Material fonts (Roboto)
- Material File Status Colors: Enable/Disable the Material File Status Colors
- Material Wallpapers : Add a custom wallpaper per theme for the empty frame window.
- Show Overlays: Displays an overlay when modals are open.
- Accent Mode : Make components stand out by setting them in the accent color (buttons, tabs, selections…)
- Large Tool Windows: Set the new Large Tool Windows Layout
- Project Frame Colors : Add a colored stripe on the top of each window for easier differentiation
- Show Project Name : Show or hide the project frame on the stripe
- Show Project Icon : Display the project’s custom icon on the stripe
- Customize Text : Customize the text displayed
- Colored Open Directories : Colorize open directories with the accent color
- Language Additions : Enable/Disable the Language Additions
- Enforce Highlighting: Enforce highlighting of keywords by making them appear as “Weak Warnings”
- Show What’s New on each update: Whether to display the What’s New on each update.
You can also quickly toggle some settings by using the Search Everywhere or the Command Panel functionality of the IDE. Simply press
Shift-Shift and type
Material Theme to get the list of available toggles.
Same goes for the
Command Panel (Ctrl-Shift-A/Cmd-Shift-A).
You can also use the
Keymap Editor to assign your own custom shortcuts to these toggles.
Your current configuration is stored inside the IDE settings’ directory under the filename
material_theme.xml. If for some reason there are issues with the plugin, or you don’t manage to reset to a stable state, just delete this file and restart the IDE.
See IDE Settings for more information.
Material Custom Theme
This feature is only available for premium users.
Aside from the bundled themes, you also have the ability to set up your own Material Theme. You can do so by selecting
Custom Theme in the theme list, then customize the theme colors in the settings page at
Settings → Appearance → Material Custom Theme Settings.
Once you set these colors, simply select the
Custom Theme in the Material Theme Chooser and see your colors take effect.
See Custom Theme for more details.
Here’s a list of the keys used in the configuration file (
material_theme.xml) with their default values. If a key isn’t in your file, it means that it uses the default value.
<component> <!-- Accent color --> <option name="accentColor" value="E91E63" /> <!-- Accent scrollbars --> <option name="accentScrollbars" value="true" /> <!-- Accent Mode --> <option name="accentMode" value="true" /> <!-- Whether or not to send data analytics --> <option name="allowDataCollection" value="false" /> <!-- Outlined Buttons --> <option name="borderedButtons" value="false" /> <!-- Language Additions --> <option name="codeAdditionsEnabled" value="true" /> <!-- Compact dropdowns enabled --> <option name="compactDropdowns" value="false" /> <!-- Custom sidebar line height enabled --> <option name="compactSidebar" value="false" /> <!-- Sidebar line height if enabled --> <option name="customSidebarHeight" value="28" /> <!-- Themed Title Bar (deprecated since 2021.2) --> <!-- <option name="darkTitleBar" value="false" /> --> <!-- Enforced Language Additions --> <option name="enforcedLanguageAdditions" value="fale" /> <!-- File Status Colors enabled--> <option name="fileStatusColorsEnabled" value="false" /> <!-- Tab highlight color --> <option name="highlightColor" value="E91E63" /> <!-- Tab highlight thickness --> <option name="highlightThickness" value="2" /> <!-- Indicator Style --> <option name="indicatorStyle" value="Border" /> <!-- Indicator Thickness --> <option name="indicatorThickness" value="2" /> <!-- Bold Active Tab--> <option name="isActiveBoldTab" value="false" /> <!-- Tab highlight color enabled --> <option name="isHighlightColorEnabled" value="false" /> <!-- Compact menus --> <option name="isCompactMenus" value="false" /> <!-- Compact status bar enabled --> <option name="isCompactStatusBar" value="false" /> <!-- Compact table cells enabled --> <option name="isCompactTables" value="false" /> <!-- Contrast mode enabled --> <option name="isContrastMode" value="false" /> <!-- Custom tree indent enabled --> <option name="isCustomTreeIndentEnabled" value="false" /> <!-- High Contrast --> <option name="isHighContrast" value="true" /> <!-- Inverted Selection Color --> <option name="isInvertedSelectionColor" value="fale" /> <!-- Custom Wallpapers --> <option name="isMaterialWallpapers" value="true" /> <!-- Styled folders enabled --> <option name="isStyledDirectories" value="false" /> <!-- Whether to show the wizard at start --> <option name="isWizardShown" value="true" /> <!-- Left tree indent --> <option name="leftTreeIndent" value="6" /> <!-- Override accent color enabled --> <option name="overrideAccentColor" value="true" /> <!-- Right tree indent --> <option name="rightTreeIndent" value="6" /> <!-- Second Accent Color when in Accent Mode --> <option name="secondAccentColor" value="80CBC4" /> <!-- Selected Theme --> <option name="selectedTheme" value="OCEANIC" /> <!-- Last selected tab in the settings --> <option name="settingsSelectedTab" value="0" /> <!-- Show Overlays --> <option name="showOverlays" value="true" /> <!-- Large Tool Windows --> <option name="stripedToolWindowsEnabled" value="true" /> <!-- Show What's New Window on updates --> <option name="showWhatsNew" value="true" /> <!-- Status bar indicator (moved to status bar context menu) --> <!-- <option name="statusBarTheme" value="true" /> --> <!-- Tab Highlight Position --> <option name="tabHighlightPosition" value="Default" /> <!-- Tab Opacity (deprecated) --> <!-- <option name="tabOpacity" value="50" /> --> <!-- Transparent scrollbars --> <option name="themedScrollbars" value="true" /> <!-- Project View Font Size --> <option name="treeFontSize" value="12" /> <!-- Project View Font Size Enabled --> <option name="treeFontSizeEnabled" value="false" /> <!-- Tab Font Size --> <option name="tabFontSize" value="14" /> <!-- Tab Font Size Enabled --> <option name="tabFontSizeEnabled" value="false" /> <!-- Tab height --> <option name="tabsHeight" value="42" /> <!-- Uppercase buttons --> <option name="uppercaseButtons" value="true" /> <!-- Bold and uppercase tabs enabled --> <option name="upperCaseTabs" value="false" /> <!-- Colored Open Directories --> <option name="useColoredDirectories" value="true" /> <!-- Project Frame Custom Title --> <option name="useCustomTitle" value="false" /> <!-- Project Frame --> <option name="useProjectFrame" value="false" /> <!-- Show Project Title in Project Frame --> <option name="useProjectTitle" value="true" /> <!-- Show Project Icon in Project Frame --> <option name="useProjectIcon" value="true" /> <!-- Material fonts enabled --> <option name="useMaterialFont2" value="false" /> <!-- Material wallpapers enabled --> <option name="useMaterialWallpapers" value="false" /> </component>
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I’ve installed the Material Theme, but the editor still shows me the
A: The Theme Switcher is only replacing the theme of the whole IDE, not the editor itself. You can therefore have a separate theme for the IDE and the Editor, for instance Palenight and Darker or even a custom Color Scheme.
Q: I’ve updated the IDE/plugin to a new version, and now I get an error about the plugin failing to initialize?
A: It could come from multiple issues, but it could simply be a problem with the settings not being compatible to the new version. In that case, simply make a copy of the settings file, then delete the original file, and restart the IDE.
If the issue is gone, simply go back to the settings and go back to your previous configuration manually. If the issue persists, please report it in the Issues Section.
Q: I’ve removed the plugin, and still the background image persists!
A: This is an issue hard to resolve, because the Custom Wallpaper function is using the
Set Background image function from the IDE behind the curtains. Therefore, removing the plugin might not remove the set image completely. If that occurs, you can remove the image by opening the Command Panel (Cmd-Shift-A/Ctrl-Shift-A) and type
Set Background image and then manually remove the image, or go into
Settings → Appearance → Background Image.
Q: What is that analytics option? What data are collected?
A: This is an option to allow sending data to Material Theme servers about users’ configuration, usage and trends. These analytics will allow us to see which features are most used or least used, in order to prioritize development of features, or maybe notify users about specific features, to provide a better satisfaction. These data are completely anonymous, and are not shared/sold to any third parties. If you want to stop sending data, simply turn off the option in the material_theme.xml.
Q: The wizard idea was great! But I’ve made an error and the wizard won’t show up anymore!
A: The wizard will show only once and only when you don’t have the
isWizardShown option set to true in the config file. But you can reopen it by simply clicking on the action from the Material Theme Toolbar, in the Features menu.
Q: My settings are not persisted between my IDEs!
A: Yes, this is because third-party plugins are not (yet) synchronizeable by the Sync Settings feature. Therefore, you need to configure each IDE independently. However, since Look and Feels ARE synchronized, this can lead to inconsistencies between the look and feels, like for instance having
Darcula instead of your chosen theme.
As a result, it is recommended to not rely too much on the Sync feature for now. Configure the two instances independently and try not to change settings too often.
Q: Where have all the icons gone?
A: Since 5.0.0 all icons related settings have been moved to the Atom Material Icons plugin, another plugin developed by the Material Theme team. This is in order to encourage developers to develop Icon Themes, since the plugin is now free of icons.
Q: I’ve downloaded a theme from the Plugins Page, and now I’m seeing texts that are not themed, or checkboxes that are wrongly colored, etc…
A: This is because these are native themes, and such themes use the Theme API provided by JetBrains rather than the API used by the Material Themes. Even though the plugin tries to convert it to its own format, it won’t be as good as the originals. Still, it should be as similar as possible, so there shouldn’t be any critical issues. In that case, please report to the repository’s issues.
Q: I’ve bought a license, but I am still identified as a Free User!
A: That means that you didn’t activate your license yet. At the moment the only way to do it is to run the action to open the Registration Modal.